Saturday, October 28, 2017

Broccoli Cheese Soup

With the temps dipping into the 30's and 40's, my internal thermostat can't seem to keep up with the cooler temps and I feel cold down to my bones and I automatically think and need soup.

Yesterday was the coldest day we've had in a while.  I just couldn't warm up.  I've dressed in layers and wrapped up in a blanket.   I was really hoping to make it into November without the heater and the only way was to eat some soup.




Earlier this week I had lunch with Mom and some of the ladies from the neighborhood.  Broccoli Cheese Soup was the Soup of the Day, the gals all oooed and awed over the taste and creaminess.  I added this to my mental recipe book of "wanting to try to ketofy".  This was the perfect day.  Now, you've got to realize I didn't taste the soup that the ladies went on and on about.  I've tasted broccoli cheese soup in the past and just went on memory.  Plus, Mom was on her way over and she did eat the soup.  She could tell me if I was close or not.

Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ingredients:
serves 6

1 Knorr chicken bouillon cube
2 1/2 cups water
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp minced onion
1 garlic clove
1 - 12 oz bag chopped broccoli
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese
2 Tbsp cream cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp xanthum gum
salt and pepper optional (to taste)

Directions:

In a medium to large sauce pan, bring water to a boil.  Add butter, chicken bouillon cube, garlic and minced onion, stir until bouillon has dissolved.  Turn heat down to medium.

In a small bowl softened the cream cheese in microwave until it can spread easily with the back of a spoon.  Add shredded cheese to cream cheese and stir.   Pour cheese mixture into bouillon, add heavy cream and stir.  Turn heat down to low and stir often to keep from scorching bottom.

If needed, chop the broccoli into bite size pieces and add to sauce pan.  If you want you can use an immersion blender to make the soup silky smooth.  I like chunks so I only used the blender for a minute so the soup would still be a little chunky.

Mix the xanthum gum with a tablespoon of water and add to the soup.  Stir on medium low to thicken.

Garnish with a little shredded cheese.  Bacon crumbles and green onion would also make excellent garnishments.

Hope you enjoy <3

Nutritional values per cup
calories 191; fat 16.3; total carbs 3; fiber 1.5; net carbs 1.5 ; sugars 0.8; protein 7.3


No comments:

Post a Comment