Saturday, January 27, 2018

Keto Tostada Shells

The family wants tacos for dinner.  What are you going to do?



Are you going to say "screw it" and eat corn or flour tortillas because everyone else is?  There are low carb options Mission makes a tortilla depending on the size, you can get them with 3 net carbs to 8 net carbs.  But, these tortilla are not "technically" considered keto.  Why?  you ask!  Because they contain grains.  Yes, they fit into your macros of under 20 net carbs, they are great for many people.  I've tried them, but I notice that they give me a belly ache or maybe it's a weird coincidence that I get a grumbly, talkative belly about an hour after I eat these.

So, this was my predicament last night.  The family said "TACOS".  My brain immediately went to taco salad, but sometimes you just want the crunch.  I've made cheddar cheese taco shells before and I don't know why I don't make them more often.  They are the perfect taco shell.

I decided to have a mozzarella tostada shell.  I'll definitely be making these again.

How to make them...

Mozzarella Tostada Shells
Makes 2

Ingredients:
3 oz shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325° Line baking sheet with parchment paper.  NOTE - it MUST be parchment paper or you will have a sticky, melty, runny mess.

Divide shredded cheese into two piles.  I used a 1/2 sheet baking pan and two fit perfectly without running together.  Begin by shaping the cheese into a tortilla form.  Round, single layer, fill in the gaps or empty spaces or you will have holes in your shell.  Once you have the cheese shaped, make sure that your cheese is about 2" from each other.

Bake for 15 minutes or until it begins to brown.  Remove from oven.  Slide the the parchment paper off the pan and let them rest for a few minutes to cool and get crispy.


Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy.  

Nutritional value per tostada shell:
calories 121; fat 7.6; total carbs 1.5; fiber 0; net carbs 1.5; sugars 0; protein 9.1




No comments:

Post a Comment