Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Cheesy Zoodles

My son is the biggest mac and cheese fan I think I have ever met.  So anytime we can incorporate a cheesy sauce into anything he's all for it.



My mom gave me a cookbook today call the Ketogenic Diet Cookbook by Amanda Hughes.  I opened the book and there was a recipe for baked zoodles and cheese.  Even though I didn't have all of the ingredients it called for, I was able to make some substitutions and still have a great cheesy replacement for his beloved mac and cheese.

My Version...

Cheesy Zoodles
Serves 3

Ingredients:
2 medium to large zucchinis - spiralized
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
1/8 cup water
3/8 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 Tbsp butter (room temp)
pinch of garlic powder
1 1/3 cup extra sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
4 slices pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup ground pork rinds
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese (green canister)
splash of olive oil

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350° and prepare a small baking dish.  I used 3 mini disposable loaf pans.  Spray with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, salt the zucchini noodles (zoodles) and toss.  Let them sit for 15 minutes or so and then wrap in paper towels or cheese cloth and squeeze out excess liquid. 

In a separate bowl, combine water, heavy cream, egg and yolk, butter and garlic powder and whisk.

Spread the zoodles into the bottom of baking dish.  Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top and toss it together with the zoodles.  Pour the cream mixture over the top.  Top with thin sliced Pepperjack cheese (these are really thin, like Ultra Thin Sargentos, but I got them at the deli)



Combine ground pork rinds, Parmesan cheese and a splash of olive oil together to make a "bread crumb" topping.  Spoon over the top and bake for 45 minutes.

Like I said...I made 3 servings.  We each ate one and there is one in the fridge that he will probably eat tonight sometime.

Nutritional Value per serving:
calories 438; fat 37.2; total carbs 5; fiber 1.3; net carbs 3.7; sugars 3.4; protein 18.7

No comments:

Post a Comment