Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The Best Keto Bread....ever!

With Thanksgiving approaching quickly, I decided to get my mock sourdough bread baked and dried for the keto stuffing I plan on taking to my sister's house on Thursday.

As I was collecting my ingredients, and reached for the psyllium husk, I wondered what I could use that didn't have such a distinct (sometimes unpleasant flavor).  Looking through my cabinets, I grabbed the xanthum gum and chia seeds.  Also, instead of using the almond meal like I did the last time, I chose flaxseed meal.



OMG...this has been a very long time coming.  When I baked the bread yesterday, I only made a single batch with the intentions of drying it out for stuffing.  Once I took a little taste, and then another with a dab of butter, I wished I had made a double batch.  Well, I fixed that this morning.  I made a double batch.  

I formed them like buns, thinking they would be great for hamburgers, sandwiches, or whatever you felt like putting on them.  Maybe some keto Sloppy Joes...hmmm, now there's an idea.

Once they came out of the oven, I had to make sure the recipe tasted as yummy as I thought it did yesterday.  I sliced one in half, added some butter and I could have sworn I was eating an English Muffin.  Yes, my eyes might have rolled into the back of my head for a second.  Believe me, you're definitely going to want to add this to your recipes.

The Best Keto Bread....ever!
Yields 8 buns

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup flaxseeed meal
1/2 tsp xanthum gum
2 tsp chia seeds
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pink salt
4 egg whites
3 whole eggs
2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
5 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (divided)
1 cup lukewarm water
1 Tbsp water

Directions:  Preheat oven to 350°  Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. (Except the chia seeds)  Place chia seeds and 1 Tbsp water in a small dish and set aside.



In a small bowl, microwave the heavy cream for 30 seconds, immediately add 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup lukewarm water.  The apple cider vinegar will sour the cream.  Stir together and let set for 3-5 minutes.  This is going to take the place of buttermilk.  You could use buttermilk, but it contains a lot of sugar, so I decided to make my own. 

In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites, eggs, chia seeds and mock buttermilk.

Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together until dough has come together and thick.  You can use a fork to mix it or a stand mixer with a dough hook. 

Add remaining 1/2 cup lukewarm water and remaining 3 Tbsp of apple cider vinegar to dough and mix until well combined.  Do not over process. 

Note, this does not look like a traditional wheat flour bread dough. 



Take a heaping 1/3 cup of dough and place on baking sheet, form the dough into round hamburger bun shapes.  Leave an inch or so between buns.  Make 8 buns.   



Place in oven and bake 20 minutes at 350°. Turn oven down to 300° and bake an additional 50 minutes.  Remove from oven.   I had to enjoy one right out of the oven while it was hot! 



 If you are saving these for later, let cool completely and place in an air tight container and store in the fridge.

Nutritional value per bun:
calories 260; fat 18; total carbs 9.2; fiber 7.2; net carbs 2; sugars 1.9; protein 15.9




No comments:

Post a Comment