Friday, October 20, 2017

Keto Chili ~ We Don't Need No Beans!



I've been thinking about chili for the last few days. The weather was rainy and cold, perfect for a steaming bowl of spicy chili. 

I know you can have chili without beans and many people prefer it that way. I've had some people tell me that it's not really chili if it has beans. But I like the beans, lots and lots of different kinds of beans. I really didn't was a spicy meat soup.

I spent an extra long time at the grocery store today, thinking about what I could add to my chili to jazz it up and keep it keto.

I almost took my sisters recommendation and used cauliflower florets, but I just wasn't feeling it. I ran into Miss Velma (she used to watch my kids back in the 90's) she suggested zucchini. I had been thinking zuchs and maybe some greens, but ended up settling on the zucchini. 

It turned out great! I didn't even miss the beans and Davy even said it was really good.

Keto Chili
Serves 4 (1 cup servings)

Ingredients
1/2 pound ground beef (I used 80/20)
2 oz hot sausage
1 can Hatch diced tomatoes and green chilis
2 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp dried minced onion
2-3 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pink salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 rounded tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 medium zucchini (about 1 cup diced)
3 medium white mushrooms sliced or chopped
1 cup water

Directions:

In a pot, brown the ground beef and sausage together. Add the minced onion and let it cook until it softens. Add tomatoes with green chilis, tomato paste and all the seasonings and stir together. Add the water at this time and let it simmer. You may want to add more water as it cooks down. Cut the zucchini in half and scoop out the seeds. I wanted to make the zucchini pieces about the same size as beans. Slice or chop the mushrooms and add the veggies to the chili. Turn the heat to medium low and let simmer until the zucchini is tender (not mushy). Top with a little grated cheese or sour cream. I had mine with a few pork rinds for dipping. Really good. I'll definitely be making this again.

Nutritional value per cup
calories 217; fat 15.4; total carbs 5.7; fiber 1.5; net carbs 4.2; sugars 3.2; protein 13.2

No comments:

Post a Comment