Thursday, November 2, 2017

Keto Holiday Stuffing

To be 100% honest, in all my 54 years, I've never ever made homemade stuffing.  Why, because Stove Top stuffing is easy and I liked it.  There I said it.  I've eaten a lot of different stuffing recipes at holiday get togethers and I always go back to Stove Top.

This will be the first holiday season that I've been eating Keto.  I've been "dieting" pretty much my entire adult life, but the holidays were usually free days, cheat days, whatever you want to call them. 

This year, no cheat days.  I will eat exactly like I've been eating for the last 10 1/2 months.  That's why I've been planning.  I've already got a yummy delicious cranberry cheesecake that I'll be making for Thanksgiving AND Christmas.  If you missed the recipe, check the blog.  It's here.  Cranberry Cheesecake

Today I dove head first into creating stuffing.  Like I said I've never made homemade stuffing in my life, but I have a really good idea of what it takes to make it.

Here's what I came up with.


Keto Holiday Stuffing
serves 7 (1/2 cup portions)

Ingredients:

3 Mock Sourdough Rolls (see recipe in blog or click here Mock Sourdough Rolls)
3 Tbsp butter
1 2/3 cup chicken broth
1 small onion chopped
1-2 celery stalks including leaves
1/2 cup white mushrooms chopped
1 tsp pink salt
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/8 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp dried rosemary
1/8 tsp dried sage
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 egg
2 Tbsp heavy cream
2 Tbsp water

Directions:

Prepare the sourdough rolls a day or two in advance.  Chop the rolls into small crouton size bites, line a pan with parchment paper or baking mat.  Place in a 200° F oven for 3 hours to completely dry out.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Store in a plastic baggie until you're ready to use.  I had to hide them because Davy wanted to eat them all as a snack.  I thought I had a picture of the dried bread, but I guess I didn't take one after all.

Now to make the stuffing:


Preheat oven to 350° prepare a baking dish with cooking spray.  I used a loaf pan.
Pour the dried bread into bottom of loaf pan or baking dish.

In a skillet on medium-high heat, saute' celery and onion until tender.  Turn the heat down to medium-low and let simmer.  Add chicken broth to pan along with mushrooms and spices. 


I would have taken more pictures of the progress, but as I was getting ready to pour my dried bread into the loaf pan, I knocked it off onto the tile and it shattered.  Of course I was barefoot and had to stop during the cooking process to clean up the mess.  Moving on...

In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, heavy cream and water. Set aside. 

Carefully, ladle or pour the onion celery mix on top of dried bread, gently toss around to get the liquid on the bread.  Pour beaten egg over the top. 



Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from oven and serve hot. 


I tasted it right out of the oven, but I actually think letting it sit in the fridge and then reheating made it taste even better.  Which makes this the perfect holiday dish.  Make it the day before and reheat before serving.



Nutritional Values per 1/2 cup serving
calories 199; fat 13.2; total carbs 19.2; fiber 16.9 net carbs 2.3; sugars 1.8; protein 9.1



No comments:

Post a Comment