Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Keto Turtle Candy

My Dad's favorite candy for as long as I can remember was pecans, caramel and chocolate.  Yes, the all-time favorite Turtle.  Mom posted the other day that she made homemade turtle candy for Dad. 

As we get closer and closer to the holidays, I want to be in the kitchen more and more.  When I think of Christmas, I think about the neighborhood Cookie Swap, or the festive candy containers that are shared with neighbors and coworkers. 

I decided I wanted to try my own hand a making Turtle candies, but my recipe would of course be Keto.  Guess what??? I did it... I would make a change the next time I make them.  But this is what I made for my first try.  The best part...David even liked them.  Now to see what Dad thinks, since he's the real Turtle connoisseur.



Keto Turtles
Yields 30 candies
serving 1 candy

Ingredients:
silicone mold
30 pecan halves

Caramel Sauce;
5 1/3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp powdered Pyure (or your favorite powdered sweetener)
1 Tbsp Sukrin Fiber Gold syrup
1/4 tsp caramel extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup heavy cream

Chocolate coating:
2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1-2 Tbsp powdered Pyure (start with 1 Tbsp and if you want it sweeter, add more)
1 Tbsp heavy cream

Directions:
Place a pecan half in each mold.
In a medium sauce pan melt butter and Pyure sweetener together over low heat for several minutes, stirring occasionally until the butter begins to turn brown. Do not let it burn.  Add Sukrin Fiber Gold syrup, extracts and heavy cream.  You will want to bring to a boil, whisking continuously.  

Turn heat down to a simmer and let it reduce and simmer until you have a golden brown caramel sauce.  You want it thick enough to coat the back of a spoon without dribbling off.


Pour about a tsp of caramel sauce over the pecan half into each mold.


Refrigerate for 1-2 hours to set caramel sauce.  Once caramels are set you can start on the chocolate topping.  I noticed that as the caramel chilled the color got lighter.

Melt coconut oil and butter together in a sauce pan, add cocoa powder and powdered sweetener and stir until smooth.  Add in 1 Tbsp heavy cream.  Pour chocolate over caramel sauce and refrigerate for several hours.  The longer it stays in the fridge the cleaner they pop out of the molds.

Note:  The next time I make them, I'm going to put some chocolate in the bottom of the mold and up the sides, chill and then add the pecan, caramel and finally topping with more chocolate.


By the time I got around to taking pictures of the finished product, most of them had already been eaten straight out of the molds.  These were a big hit at my house.

AND...if you don't tell anyone that they are sugar free Keto candies, no one will ever know.

Nutritional Value per Turtle
calories 58; fat 5.9; total carbs 1.2; fiber 0.7; net carbs 0.5; sugars 0.3; protein 0.1




No comments:

Post a Comment