Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Crispy Chicken Skins



I love pork rinds...I actually can't believe I'm saying that. But, it's true.  They are very versatile when it comes to keto cooking and snacks.  You can grind them and use in place of breadcrumbs.  Any recipe that calls for breadcrumbs, pork rinds will do the trick.  

Got the evening munchies?  Pork rinds and a little dip will keep you feeling full so that you don't reach for sweets or other salty carbs.

People ask me all the time what do you snack on?  Truthfully, I don't snack that much, but when I do, my answer is usually pork rinds. Great snack and ZERO carbs.  The come backs are always different.  A few tell me they love pork rinds, some immediately turn their noses up because they know it's pig skin. Then, there are those who tell me that they don't eat pork!  My daughter is one of those people.

My mom was watching Ree Drummond and called to tell me that The Pioneer Woman was making chicken skins.  I immediately thought, that would be great for people who don't eat pork.   

I bought a big package of skin on chicken thighs.  Removed the skin from 4.  Saved the thigh meat for dinner.  

Let me tell you, these cripsy chicken skins taste awesome!  Here's what you do.

Crispy Chicken Skins
Yields - 1.5 oz
Serve 3

Ingredients:
Skin from 4 chicken thighs approximately 4 oz
1/2 tsp pink salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of dried thyme
pinch of dried rosemary

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F

First, remove the skin from the chicken.  Lay it flat on a cutting board and with a very sharp knife, slice the skin in 3-4 pieces about 1 1/2" wide x 3-4" long, or what ever your chicken skins allow.

In a little bowl, mix together all spices.  Crush the spices with a spoon.

Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Place skin side up on the pan.  Sprinkle seasoning on skin, cover with a 2nd sheet of parchment paper.  You're going to want to make sure the skins stay flat.  Take a 2nd baking sheet and press it on top of the top layer of parchment paper.

Now you've got pan, paper, skins, paper, pan.  Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes.  Remove from oven and transfer to paper towels to absorb excess fat.  They will crisp up even more as they dry.

I sprinkled a little season salt over them when they came out of the oven.  

Now you've got an awesome snack or excellent "croutons" for a salad.

Nutritional value per 0.5 oz serving
calories 120; fat 10.8; total carbs 0; fiber 0.1; net carbs 0; sugars 0; protein 5.3



No comments:

Post a Comment