Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Chocolate Truffles

I've been kind of lazy the past couple of weeks with creating new recipes and cooking new things.  I've been relying on the foods that are quick and easy to whip up and that I know my family will eat.

I did make a wonderful cheesy risotto last night as a side dish, but I didn't take a single picture or really measure anything.  I will definitely make it again (probably sooner than later) and I'll make sure I post the recipe because it was so so so so good!

With Christmas just around the corner and Facebook loaded with recipes for sugar cookies, candies, and all the sugary sweets that I used to make during the holidays, I was feeling the need to get in the kitchen and make some sweets.

I had to think about what I was going to make because I skipped the grocery store last week and had to root around to find ingredients. 

As I was checking this bin and that cabinet, I saw it.  It lit up like a gold star. Well, not really, but it did give me that light bulb moment.  There it was 1/2 a block or 2 oz of Ghirardelli, unsweetened 100% dark chocolate. 

Way back in the day, like 1990's I had a boss and he would give me a box of See's Chocolate Truffles every year.  OMG, chocolate truffles are my weakness.  In fact, I could polish off a box of those rich truffles in a day, all by myself!

As I continued my quest for ingredients, I also found a bag of unsweetened coconut flakes and in the freezer a bag of pecans. 

The decision was made.  I was going to try my hand at chocolate truffles.  Some would be coated in toasted coconut, some rolled in pecans and maybe leave a few plain chocolate.



Chocolate Truffles
Yields 34 truffles 

Ingredients

2 oz 100% unsweetened Ghirardelli baking chocolate - chopped
4 1/2 oz heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup Pyure powdered sweetener
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes - toasted
1/8 - 1/4 cup pecans - finely chopped

Directions

If you're coating with coconut.  You'll need to toast it first.  Make sure you are using unsweetened coconut flakes.  Preheat the oven to 325°, spread the coconut out on a silicone baking mat in an even layer and bake for 6-10 minutes.  Be careful and make sure you check the coconut every couple of minutes because it can go from white to black in a blink of an eye.  Guess how I know that. LOL... Set your timer for 2 minutes and stir the coconut with a wooden spoon, check again in 2 more minutes.  I wanted it to just barely have a little golden color.  Remove from the oven and the pan to stop the browning process.  Set aside.

If you're coating with pecans.  Put 1/8 - 1/4 cup pecans in the food processor and grind them up until they are a little bigger than dust.  Because I only coated 1/2 of the truffles with pecans, I really didn't use a 1/4 cup.  Saved the leftover pecans for next time.  Set aside.

Place chopped chocolate in a heavy glass mixing bowl.  In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine the heavy whipping cream and Pyure sweetener.  Stir continuously to dissolve sweetener and warm cream without scorching.   Remove the cream from the heat as soon as it is hot, but not simmering.  Pour the cream over the chocolate and let it stand for 30-60 seconds.  Stirring with a whisk or spatula until the chocolate has melted and it becomes dark and thick enough to stay on a spoon without running off.

Drop teaspoon size dollops on wax paper or silicon baking mat.  I was able to get 34 tsp size dollops, some were a little bigger than others because I was just eyeballing this mostly.

Place in the fridge for an hour.  You want them set up but still soft enough that the coatings will adhere.  Drop the chocolate drops one at a time in the coating of your choice and roll them around, place back on the silicone mat.  Continue coating, until they are the way you want them.  I left a few just plain.  Return to the fridge and let set for another hour.  Place in an airtight container or plastic baggie and store in fridge.  They are delicious! 

I'm going to make a double batch and take them to our families annual Christmas party next week.


I may have to figure out how to add some blueberries to these without causing the sugar and carbs to jack up out of control. 

Nutritional Values per truffle (plain)
calories 23; fat 2.3; total carbs 0.6; fiber 0.2; net carbs 0.4; sugars 0; protein 0.2

Nutritional Values per truffle (pecan)
calories 25; fat 2.5; total carbs 0.6; fiber 0.2; net carbs 0.4; sugars 0; protein 0.3

Nutritional Values per truffle (coconut)
calories 34; fat 3.5; total carbs 1.1; fiber 0.7; net carbs 0.4; sugars 0.1; protein 0.3



No comments:

Post a Comment