Saturday, January 6, 2018

Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake Squares



Winter Saturdays seem to be made just for baking.  It feels like it's been awhile since I've heard the whirrrr of the mixer and today seemed like the perfect day.

What was I going to bake?  Cookies? naw... Bread? nope... How about mini bundt cakes?  YES!

Now, what the heck did I do with that mini bundt cake pan?  I searched high and low, literally, and couldn't find it anywhere.  (insert sad sad face here)  But, I did find my square muffin pan.  By the way, next time I'm at Walmart, I'm buying myself a new mini bundt pan.

Got the pan, now what to put in it... pound cake sounds good, maybe with a chocolate drizzle??? That's what I was going to make.  But wait!  I've got some frozen blueberries.  I've got lemons...

This pound cake is different from the other recipes you may have seen me make.  I only used 4 eggs instead of the amount some pound cakes call for.  I've made them with 8 eggs which are WAY too eggy for me and I've tried 6 eggs which isn't bad.  I've used 4 eggs and 2 egg yolks, but this time I decided to just use 4 eggs and see what happened.

This one turned out the best!  It has a great moist texture and it's not eggy at all.  It's delicious...

Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake...squares.

Ingredients:
Yields 12 muffins (12-24 servings)

2 cups almond flour
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup Pyure granulated sweetener 
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp pink salt
1 stick butter, melted
8 oz cream cheese softened
4 eggs
3/4 cup keto buttermilk (3/8 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/4 cup water - heat in microwave 30 seconds, add 2 Tbsp lemon juice and stir)
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp liquid stevia I used Pyure
12 Tbsp blueberries (I used about 8 berries per muffin)

Note: Pyure is twice as sweet as other sweeteners, if you're using Swerve, you'll need to double all of the measurements for sweetener.

Glaze:
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup Pyure confectioners sweetener (You may want a little more or less sweet in your glaze, adjust as needed for taste)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350° and place rack on the next to the lowest rung of the oven (not the bottom), prepare your muffin pan with cooking spray or melted butter.  I brushed melted butter on the bottoms and sides and the muffins slid right out.

Get the first 7 ingredients in a bowl, whisk everything together and break up any clumps.  Set aside. 

 In a medium mixing bowl, with a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth and creamy.   Scrape down the sides.  Add 1 egg and beat, add the 2nd egg and beat, then add the remaining 2 eggs and beat until the eggs are completely incorporated.  Scrape down sides.  Add your Keto buttermilk, lemon juice, extracts and liquid stevia and beat everything together.

Pour 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon, add the remaining dry ingredients.  This will be thick like waffle batter.


Scoop a little less than a 1/4 cup into each muffin square and press it into the edges and corners.  Place blueberries on top and gently poke them into the batter, just so they are secure, not all the way to the bottom of the pan.


Cover the blueberries with remaining batter.  Tap the pan, or drop it onto the counter a couple of times to get the air bubbles out of the batter.

Bake for 35 minutes.  Muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.  Turn out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.



Prepare glaze:
Whisk together lemon juice and Pyure confectioners sweetener.  Let it sit for a minute or two to calm down and the air bubbles will go away.  Drizzle the glaze over the finished muffins.

Doesn't that look scrumptious?!!  Believe me it was.

Nutritional Value per 1/2 muffin
calories 157; fat 13.7; total carbs 4.3; fiber 2.2; sugars 1.2; protein 4.5

Nutritional Value per whole muffin
calories 314; fat 27.5; total carbs 8.6; fiber 4.5; sugars 2.5; protein 9






No comments:

Post a Comment