Thursday, December 28, 2017

Delicious Chicken Soup



Earlier today (on Facebook) I posted a recipe for a hearty hamburger stew which is not keto friendly.  I do have followers who are not into the keto lifestyle and try to post for everyone who wants to ready them.  Anyways, to me...Winter means soups, soups and more soups.  I love anything in a bowl.  Thick chili, hearty stews and yes, creamy soups.

When I stepped into the kitchen to start making my soup, I really had no idea what I was going to make.  Quick assessment of ingredients on hand.  Grabbing this and that and Viola!

After I made this soup and was thinking about how to write up this post, I just couldn't come up with a unique name for this recipe.  All I could think of was how delicious it tasted.  That was it!  It's absolutely D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S.

Delicious Chicken Soup
Makes 6 servings 1 2/3 cup each

Ingredients:
8 oz chicken breast (chopped into bite size pieces)
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
5 slices bacon
4 oz cream cheese
1 Tbsp mayo
1 Tbsp pickle juice (I know...don't freak out yet)
2 Tbsp brown mustard
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional if you don't like spicy)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt if needed (the bacon, broth and pickle juice add a lot of saltiness)

Directions:
Chop bacon into small pieces, place in skillet and cook until crispy.  Remove the bacon and set aside, save the bacon grease.  Add chopped chicken pieces to skillet and cook through.  Set aside.

In a soup pot, add chicken broth, water, pickle juice, mustard and spices.  Bring it a simmer.  Add chicken and bacon.  Stir in the mayo, cream cheese and let the cream cheese melt on a simmer.  Toss in the frozen spinach and stir.  Continue simmering for about 10-15 minutes.

Taste it now and see if you think it needs more salt.  Add if needed.

Stir in the 1/2 cup shredded cheese and serve.

This was perfect and the perfect serving amount.  The only thing that could have made it better would have been a keto grilled cheese sandwich.  hmmm...I think it's time to bake some bread.

Nutritional value per serving:
calories 287; fat 17.1; total carbs 1.9; fiber 0.7; net carbs 1.2; sugars 1.3; protein 21.8



No comments:

Post a Comment